Black Cultural Centre for Nova Scotia
Re-Opening following COVID-19: July 6, 2020
(Updated August 10, 2020)
We are glad to share that we will be welcoming visitors back to the Black Cultural Centre on July 6, 2020. We have worked to create a safe space and experience for you and our staff. Our hours will be revised to 10 am to 3 pm (Monday to Friday) for the time being to allow us appropriate time for cleaning and sanitizing. We intend to review this frequently and will adjust our operating hours as reasonable to do so in the future.
Important Notes Before Visiting:
• Please stay home if you are not well, if you are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms or if you have been around someone who is unwell or who has COVID-19.
• Non-medical mask or face covering are now mandatory in public spaces as per public health restrictions and are required when visiting the Centre. Exceptions exist in some situations.
• Please practice social distancing to reduce exposure to other people – stay at least two metres / 6 feet away from anyone you do not live with or who isn’t in your bubble, while visiting the Centre.
Changes and Safety Measures, Now in Place at the Centre
We are working hard to maintain a safe and healthy environment at the Centre, here is a list of some of those changes and procedures that have to be enforced under public health orders:
• Staff, volunteers and tenants will monitor their personal health, and will stay at home if they are feeling unwell
• Increased cleaning of the facility and staff work spaces multiple times per day
• We have made cleaning part of everyone’s daily duties
• Increased air ventilation and filtration in the facility
• Interactive / Touch Screen Exhibits have been removed cleaning is not possible
• Additional hand sanitizer stations have been added
• Social distancing – keep a distance of at least 2 metres / 6 feet from others
• You will see new signage outlining safety precautions
• these changes are enforceable under public health orders.
• The Centre has been set up so traffic will flow in one direction and that all exhibits are on one level.
• The second level of the facility will be closed to the public at this time
• We have installed plexi-glass shields to our front reception desk
• Our entrance is clearly marked and divided to allow separation for entering and exiting
• While we will accept cash, contactless, debit or credit card is preferred
• We ask visitors to follow floor markings and signage while maintain social distance
• There will be increased surface cleaning and restroom cleaning throughout the day.
• Please consider use of a non-medical mask or face covering
• Our public washrooms will be restricted to one individual or family at a time
• Our Gift Shop will be closed, however select items will be available from the front reception desk or on our updated online store.
• During times of high traffic their may be a slight waiting period to visit the Centre if we reach our safety capacity
Important Health Measures To Remember
• Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after using the washroom or use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
• When coughing or sneezing: cough or sneeze into a tissue or the bend of your arm, not your hand
• Dispose of any tissues you have used as soon as possible
• Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
• Stay informed on the latest public health guidelines on hygiene
• Stay home if you are unwell, if you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 or if you have been around someone who is unwell.
• Practice social distancing: stay at least two metres / 6 feet away from anyone you do not live with or who isn’t in your bubble.
• Please consider use of a non-medical mask or face covering in situations where social distancing cannot be maintained